Thursday, February 9, 2012

DESTRUCTION

Is being destructive a symptom of ADHD? I'm really not sure, although I'm pretty convinced that there's certainly a correlation between the two. It gets really old not being able to have anything nice because ultimately it gets ruined. I've grown somewhat accustomed to the fact I will not likely be allowed to keep anything of any value for the next 30 years, but there are still days I imagine myself locking my kids in a completely empty room, naked (because they would tear up their clothes if that's the only option they had to destroy).
     J is five and still has not "grown out" of drawing on her walls. She knows full and well that she's not supposed to, and that it's wrong... but I have three foot tall letters spelling out her name going down the walls of her room. I have little round people with stick arms and legs going up my stairwell. You name it, there are stickers stuck to it.
    Why am I posting about this now? Particularly since this is my SECOND post of the day? Well, this is today's list of destruction: approximately 5 loads of folded laundry thrown to the floor and strewn about, an entire box of spaghetti noodles dumped out on the kitchen floor, a dumped trashcan, and a sheet of stickers; partially stuck to my last remaining UNtouched dining room chair, and partially ripped up and thrown in the trashcan in anger by me.
    Mommy Meltdown mode almost became a reality tonight. I'm kind of proud of myself for not taking the entire stash of stickers we have and ripping them up, throwing the pieces to the ground, and screaming at the top of my lungs while I jump up and down on top of them.
     To some NON parents, or just plain ignorant parents; the thoughts are probably that I am a poor supervisor. I'm sure I could probably do better, but  if I spent every one of my childrens' waking moments staring at them with hawk eyes, there are lots of household duties that would never get done. I don't know about you but I don't own enough dishware to keep us for weeks. Not to mention, the dogs have to pee sometime.
     Anyone with any ideas on how to keep these kids from being destructive, I'm all ears. Seriously. Time for a glass of wine in the shower before bed. Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment